About Me

One backpack. 14.9 kilos of stuff. 10 months. One continent. This little place, this little corner of the internet is one simple thing, and so many things at once. Simply, it is my attempt to capture what moments I can of my next journeys over the next year in South America, so I can share them with those people who care to follow mis movimientos here. Other than that, while I know this place means so much more, your guess is as good as mine as to what it means and will mean. So that's the real meaning of this espacio. To find out. Thanks to those who will read this. Gracias.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

 The fields at Los Ranchillos. Those are lemon trees in the foreground, the rows up on the hills will be for the paltas (avocados).
 The lemons are incredible. A beautiful yellow, and very fragrant. Many of them are huge — far larger than anything I've ever seen in a market. I wonder if they only use those for juice.
 Some of my compañeros. Sorry for the low quality of photographs. I was trying to be discrete (I took these photos in the very beginning, when I didn't know anyone).
 The fire we use to heat our food. The jefe makes one everyday.
 The tractor, the trailer, the bins. It takes something like 35 tarros (buckets) to fill a bin. With other fruit, this is how you get paid, by "bines." But lemons offer a thankless job, with very little pay. No one likes to pick lemons.
 There's a tractor with three full bins. The tractors are in constant rotation.
 The guy in the red shirt is Juan Pablo, the jefe of our group. The dude with the white hat is called Bicho. I think his real name is Vincente. He's a tractor driver. The other guy is some kinda super jefe.
 It's steep up on the cerro.
 But very pretty, overlooking the whole valley. Sorry again, for the poor photo quality.
 Leaving after a long day.
One of the super jefes making his rounds.

All photos were taken on September 22, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment